Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sun Ra Vs. The Yoof

I stayed up way too late last night...

I was going to get to bed early, set the alarm then get cracking with this awful-awful hand-in paper for Monday.

Instead, I ended up watching a programme on the Beeb about Sun Ra... and throughout the programme, all I could think about was...
"Cor blimey, Thurston Moore looks after himself, doesn't he".
Unlike Kim Gordon.

Maybe it was the make-up, maybe it was the lighting... but Thurston hadn't aged at all...
Kimmy's a different story, I'm sure you will agree. Not that I'm into Sonic Youth you underestand... But I did go and see them at The Shepherds Bush Empire, June 24th 1998... and I remember thinking that Kim Gordon looked a bit tired around the eyes; her hair was greasy, and she wasn't wearing the right bra for that kind of full-on performance.
[They weren't actually full-on at all... well, apart from Kimmy... who was very FULL on... That is, f you like seeing a bass player's underpants darken during a solo]

But my horrible ex, Derry Timms, was ranting about how cool they were... [and believe me, Derry was a veritable evangelist when it came to music he liked.]

Some advice for reasonable girls everywhere: NEVER DATE A DJ

Derry thought he was something special because he was called upon most nights to get up and use his taste and judgement to entertain... He spent a small fortune on himself of course; the best mobile phone, the best gear, the latest decks and mixer... the best Ian Brown wash-cut-and-blow-dry...
And for some reason back in June 98, he was into Sonic Youth... Well, possibly just for that week... And quite possibly because his "New Contact", Kaz Williams was an ardent YOOF fan and had been pestering Derry to do a free-bee for some college club called Candy Apple, set up by a pack of teeny-weenie white skateboarding kids from Reading.

Derry was such a prize twat when I think about it now... And on the night of the Sonic Youth gig he got completely pissed with Kaz and they both disappeared off down to the front of the stage untill Derry was knocked flat, messed up (and ripped!) his lime-green Paul Smith polo-shirt, and later discovered his new ["Seimens baby, only Seimens"]mobile had gone walkabouts... He then became soooo angry that he began pushing into anyone-and-everyone near him, trying to provoke a full-on fist fight. Thankfully he got one... when a pint-sized girl with the words "Krazy Kitten" sparkling across her chest, clenched and punched Derry full in his sweaty, big-mouthed face. Derry yelped before instantly checking if any blood had dripped onto his Paul Smith shirt. What a twat.

Kaz was insisting that we try to get backstage and meet 'the YOOF'... I was trying to calm Derry... and then... Well, blow me down... Thurston Moore walked out into the strip-lit bog-land of the clear-up, and walked straight over to me and asked if I had a pen. I had quite a few as it happened, and I smiled girlishly up at Thuston's thick-as-hippo-shit rock and roll face.
"Red or black?" was all I could ask.
"Huh, huh... from where I'm standin', I'm thinkin' more 'pink or brown?'..."

But I have to admitt, he did look good last night on telly... Kim should hold onto him; she's a lucky lady.

As for Sun Ra...?
The Sun does indeed RA...
early in the morning...
glowing on the trees and on the ground...

Shopping list 14/10/06: Uncle Ben's cook-in tomato and basil sauce...

Be back later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home